Ordering your skip and getting it ready to fill with your waste is one thing, but have you thought about how exactly you will load it? Probably not… In this article, we are going to explain how to load your Dorset skip like a pro and why chucking in all your waste with no thought is a bad idea!
How to load your skip
- Know what you’re skipping – if you have in mind what waste is going in your skip you can start to plan how you are going to load it.
- Start with flat items – ideally you want to load the base of your skip with any flat items you may have, such as flat packed furniture, broken down cardboard boxes, table tops, wood planks etc.
- Then move onto the heavier bulky waste – the idea here is that you want to avoid as many air gaps as possible, allowing you to make the most of the space.
- Next, load up your skip with smaller waste – these waste items can fit into the small gaps that have appeared. Think of it as a game of waste Tetris!
- Lastly lay lighter items on the top – remember don’t go over the skip line or you could face extra charges.
Top tip: If an item can be crushed down or made smaller, it will take up less space, leaving you with more skip to fill!
Benefits of loading your skip properly
- Moneysaving – If you fill your skip ineffectively, you are just throwing money down the drain as you will have to order another skip when you can’t get rid of it all in one hit!
- Space optimising – The more space you optimise the more you’ll get into your skip, so it’s a win-win!
- Zero pick up issues – If you don’t load your skip up properly, you could end up overfilling it or causing issues on pick up. We always want our customers to have a stress-free, easy experience when using AMS.
Mistakes to avoid
- Overfilling – As mentioned above, overfilling is not something you want to do. Our skip drivers can spot an overfilled skip from a mile away and you will be required to remove waste if we cannot get it safely onto our skip truck ready to drive away. Not only is it not safe to drive away with an overfilled skip, but it’s actually illegal and can get us into a lot of trouble!
- Mixing waste types – One of the skip options we offer is a ‘Mixed waste skip’, and apart from hazardous materials, you can pretty much put anything in one of these. However, if you know you’re only skipping one type of waste, you can save money by choosing a different option, such as a garden waste skip. With this in mind, please don’t start mixing waste if you’ve ordered a specific skip waste type, you will unfortunately be charged extra if this is the case.
Top tip: If you are unsure if the waste you are trying to get rid of is hazardous, or if it’s allowed in your skip, give our Dorset skip team a call on 01202 579 579 and they will be happy to assist you.
Need a Dorset skip?
We’ve recently taken on another skip pick up truck, meaning we can deliver more skips to homes and businesses across Dorset. We provide skips for all types of waste, including:
We have a range of sizes to suit all waste removal needs too, our skips come in 4, 6, 8 and 12 yards. If you’re looking for larger options, we can also provide you with a RoRo.
Get in touch with our team if you have any more questions by calling us on 01202 579 579 or email us on email@example.com. You can also order online direct from AMS, by clicking here.