Whilst the team at Avon Material Supplies aren’t fully fledged gardeners, it’s safe to say that we know our fair share of information about how to best use our topsoil alternative for your garden projects.
It’s that time of year again when everyone wants to get outdoors (even more so this year), and get that picture perfect lawn. In this article, we outline our top tips on two of the most popular applications for our recycled topsoil: for laying turf and for seeding.
How to prepare your topsoil for seeding
Although growing a lawn from scratch by seeding takes longer, it can be more cost effective. Our topsoil alternative is ideal for seeding thanks to it’s good drainage properties. Here are some tips to get the best results:
- Clear the soiled area – You want to ensure that the space you are seeding is clear of any weeds, large stones, roots or debris.
- Aerate the soil – By digging up the soil and then rolling it, you will be improving the drainage ready for the new grass.
- Level your soil – Using a rake, level the soil in various directions.
- Sow your seeds – Evenly sprinkle the seeds over the topsoil and then rake over again to ensure it’s all incorporated, this will give it the best chance of successfully germinating.
Your grass growing won’t be an overnight process (we wish it was!), so try to avoid standing on your seeded soil for around 4-6 weeks whilst it grows. Spring is an ideal time to start your seeding so that your lawn is ready by summer.
How to lay turf on topsoil
For some, buying and laying turf is the preferred method of achieving the perfect lawn due to its instant results. Although more expensive, you can have a ready to use lawn in a shorter timeframe than by seeding. Here’s a simple guide to achieve the best results:
- Pour your topsoil alternative over the areas you plan to turf.
- Rake over the soil to ensure that it’s level.
- Firm up the soil by using a roller or by stepping over it.
- Use a pre-turf fertiliser as this will help it to root quicker.
- Start laying your turf
- Use a rake to pat down the new turf once it’s laid
Much like seeding your topsoil, you now need to leave it to root. Don’t stand on it for 2-3 weeks as otherwise you can break the roots.
Don’t just take our word for it…
We love seeing our customers’ garden transformations, and this one in particular caught our eye. This customer used all AMS aggregates to create the final look.
- Lawn – 20mm Screened Soil
- Patio Base – Type 1 Crushed Concrete & Sharp Washed Sand (Grit)
- French Drain – 10mm Shingle
- Decorative aggregate surrounding garage – 20mm Shingle.
Is it ok to use a topsoil alternative as opposed to a primary topsoil?
Yes definitely, the topsoil alternative that you purchase from AMS is a recycled aggregate that has been carefully screened to ensure that there are no large fragments of waste or other aggregates included in your soil order. You probably wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference!
Buy your topsoil alternative online from AMS
If you have any questions regarding our topsoil alternative, give our team a call on 01202 579 579, you can also visit some of the below webpages which offers more information about the soil.